Re: Changing from Debian 9.13 to Debian 11.3

On 21/4/22 8:03 pm, Richard Owlett wrote:
I am not upgrading in place.

I currently have Debian 9.13 installed on one partition with /home on a different partition.

I will install Debian 11.3 on a fresh partition and have /home remain on its current partition.

I'm aware of cautions about upgrading in-place  cf [https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html]

Are there things to be aware of when using the same /home partition on both?

TIA

I believe that you may have difficulties accessing data files that you have accessed from an application in 11.3, if you try to access them using an earlier version of the application, on 9.13.

For example, should you use an application such as gramps, the data could be stored in a different DBMS, between different versions.

Also, in later versions of an application, extensions may exist, that did not exist in an earlier version.

Whilst this simple example could be overcome by using an equivalent, an example, is that the version of office word processor (I use the term "office", as you may have libre office or apache office, or, you may use abiword) may have a font that you now prefer - the hairydogtail font, and, in the version applicable to 9.13, may have had a font named hairlesscattail font, and that may be deemed the equivalent font, leading stuff to look somewhat different.

I think that, as I have multiple versions of operating system installed, and, a separate home partition for each, what I do, is, if I want a data file from a earlier version home partition, I copy it to the later version home partition, and, depending on the nature of the file, do not access it from the earlier version of the operating system.

A good example of problems that you could encounter, is that, if you use alpine (the successor to pine), the configuration files are stored in the home directory/partition, and, changes from one version to the next, of alpine, mean that, whilst the later version may be able to import the settings from an earlier version of alpine, it is unlikely that an earlier version of alpine, can use the settings, and therefore, the settings file(s) of a later version of alpine. Also, with alpine, it has happened that the storing of the settings, has changed, from one version to the next, being stored in multiple files, in the later version, instead of a single file, in the earlier version. In Ubuntu Linux, this also happened, with /etc/apt/sources.list, which became split, involving a new directory. Whilst that is not of the Debian home partition, that is an example of how things can change from one version to another., and, can show how accessing data files applicable to a later version of an operating system, can be problematic when using an earlier version of the same operating system.

I believe that what you would be best doing, is what I do; have a separate home partition for each operating system; keep it small, about 32GB, and, have data partitions (I use data1, data2, data3, etc, each with, as I figure, a maximum size of 64GB, for ease on backing up and copying/transferring between computers, using thumb drives), in which, most data, such as image files, PDF files, and word processing files are stored, for access between different systems, with data files particular to application software versions, such as, as mentioned, alpine configuration files, that live in the home partition, kept in the home partition specific to the operating system version.

Also, using external SSD drives, appropriately partitioned, aids portability between operating systems on the same computer, and, between computers.

But, I believe that sharing a home partition between different versions of an operating system, is too troublesome, and, more trouble than it is worth.

Of course, other people's opinions may differ from mine.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale