Re: What do folks use to mirror repositories

On Tue 19 Apr 2022 at 07:24:53 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 09:08:08PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 22:15:36 -0600
> > Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> > > Apt-cacher-ng (hereafter acng) also requires a change in client apt
> > > configurations. Put one line into apt.conf or a one-liner in
> > > apt.conf.d. I use the latter, 02proxy:
> > >
> > > Acquire::http::Proxy "http://aptcacherdeb.localdomain:3142";;
> > >
> > > There are further wrinkles for laptops and other traveling computers,
> > > and for https only repos, which I will leave as an exercise for the
> > > student.
> >
> > Yes. I use apt-cacher-ng, but having to manually add a workaround for
> > every SSL-only repository I use is getting rather annoying:
>
> That's true. Caching and HTTPS don't play well with each other. Why
> a package repository has to be https-only is anyone's guess, but I
> think apt caches should learn to do "man in the middle".

As for laptops, I iron out one wrinkle by not setting my proxy under
/etc/apt/, but in the command lines instead. So the cron command has:
apt-get -qq -o Acquire::http::Proxy="…" update && apt-get -qq -d -o Acquire::http::Proxy="…" dist-upgrade && find /var/cache/apt/archives/ -name '*deb'
which generates an email whenever there are packages in the cache,
and I upgrade the system with:
apt-get -o Acquire::http::Proxy="…" update && apt-get -d -o Acquire::http::Proxy="…" dist-upgrade; apt-get upgrade; read -p 'Ctrl-C to avoid clean' _; apt-get clean

(I avoid cleaning the cache when packages are held back so that an
immediate   apt-get dist-upgrade   doesn't have to refetch them.)

Apart from making it easy to run the root command when not at home
(just rubout the -o option), this command line also works around
apt-cacher-ng's occasional inability to cope with wrinkles such
as expired certificates: when apt-listbugs runs during the upgrade,
it avoids going through the cache.

Cheers,
David.