Re: Openbox and multiple screens.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022 davidson wrote:
On Sat, 16 Apr 2022 peter@easthope.ca wrote:
Hi,

This system has two screens.

https://wiki.debian.org/Openbox#Files lists ~/.config/openbox/autostart.
Autostarting works except that I haven't found a way to configure the
location or screen where a new window opens.  How is that done?

$ man 7 X
[...]
GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS

  One of the advantages of using window systems instead of hardwired
  terminals is that applications don't have to be restricted to a
  particular size or location on the screen.  Although the layout of
  windows on a display is controlled by the window manager that the
  user is running (described below), most X programs accept a command
  line argument of the form -geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF (where
  WIDTH, HEIGHT, XOFF, and YOFF are numbers) for specifying a
  preferred size and location for this application's main window.

[...]

This is functionality I have not used in several years, so I'm not
sure how accurate is the proposition "most X programs accept ..."

But it is the first thing I think of, when I read your question.

And that addresses the problem of specifying the "location [...] where
a new window opens".

As for which screen, see the section titled "DISPLAY NAMES" in the
same manual.

--
 The day will come              |  Last words, August Spies (1855--1887).
 When our silence will be       |  Hanged, by the state of Illinois,