Re: GNOME brightness controls have no effect on brightness

On Wed 06 Apr 2022 at 14:58:03 (-0400), Juan R.D. Silva wrote:
> On 2022-04-05 7:06 p.m., David Wright wrote:
> > [ … ]

> > > Looks that I failed to deliver the point in my post.
> > >
> > > All 4 steps are correct. And I most certainly can happily change the
> > > value in the /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness file to
> > > whatever I want. The problem is it does not have any effect on the
> > > actual/physical screen brightness.
> > >
> > > The change of the value in the
> > > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness only results in the slider
> > > in Brightness settings and other related GUI controls being carefully
> > > and precisely re-positioned to reflect the new value in
> > > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness.
> > >
> > > This is why there was a rant. Looks that like in GNOME moving the
> > > sliders around is the only goal. Well, that's been achieved. Greetings
> > > to the devs. :-) Sorry for another one. :-)
> >
> > Having had two good rants at Gnome, surely you now have
> > to tell us whether moving the sliders changes the value
> > in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness, regardless
> > of any effect on the screen itself.
>
> Yes, it does. Sorry, I thought it was clear from the context. Re-vied
> my wordings and see now it was not crystal clear. :-)

The context was that you could change the numbers using echo (in the
paragraph "All 4 steps …"), and that those numbers would then change
the sliders (in "The change of the value …"). This made the last
paragraph look rather cynical, though that might not have been your
intention.

Anyway, I think we can agree that Gnome did its job, changing the
numbers through the use of sliders (where I, as a non-DE user,
use keystrokes corresponding to the kepcap engravings).

My final thought (which you might not be able to answer) is:
what happens if you darken the screen with the slider so far
that you can no longer see where the slider is? Does the new
setting have to be confirmed?

Cheers,
David.