Re: Debian 11.3 kernel panics on Epyc 7281 CPU

thanks Greg,

will look into that when I have time, but I kind of thought if it was that universal it would have already been solved (by someone with more knowledge than me).
Surely the issue will be related to a small combination of hardware rather than being common to a whole family of CPUs?

regards
Thomas

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 15:38, Greg Marks <gtmarks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our servers were running Debian 10 without any issues
> We have been trying to do a fresh install of debian 11.3 on exactly the
> same hardware. The install works without any errors but on rebooting the
> system fails with kernel panics
>
> By adding  init=/bin/bash from within grub works and we can then do things
> like
>
> mount - o remount /
> cd /etc/init.d
> ./networking start
> ./ssh start
> apt install stress
> stress -c 16 -m 16 --vm-bytes 50GB
>
> This stress test (without running the normal init process)  runs for hours
> without issues
>
> We then tried adding systemd.confirm_spawn=true from the boot line in grub
> to try to see at what stage the kernel crashes
> Even if we don't confirm the first systemd spawn and leave the computer
> waiting for an answer for a few minutes the kernel panics
>
> Has anyone else seen this or have a fix for it?
> The board is a GIGABYTE  R181-Z90-00 Version F01 , the CPU is AMD EPYC
> 7281,the total memory is 1TB from 64GB sticks of Samsung DDR4
> M386A8K40BM2-CTD

I don't have any of this hardware, and I can only speculate as to the
cause of the problem.  Is it, by any chance, related to the following?

   https://cloudlinux.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014242019-AMD-CPU-Unable-to-Boot-after-CPU-Microcode-Update

Debian not booting on EPYC CPUs is an extremely serious problem.
I hope some solution is discovered.

Best regards,
Greg Marks