Re: password

On Sun, 03 Apr 2022 19:56:56 -0400
Noah Sombrero <fedora@fea.st> wrote:

> I understand that debian 11 does not establish a root password during
> installation, regardless of what the installer says.  To get a root
> password, I need to add
> rw init=/bin/bash
> to the grub start up script or
> ro init=/bin/bash
> to end of the kernel line

Actually, no, you don't.

If you are preseeding, set that up in your preseed file. Something like:

# Root password, either in clear text
# d-i passwd/root-password password r00tme
# d-i passwd/root-password-again password r00tme
# or encrypted using a crypt(3)  hash.
#d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password [crypt(3) hash]
# d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password $1$0jG8V.wJ$N6Z/DnaCW0TsDCWj0hspi0
d-i passwd/root-password-crypted password $6$SMEblah,blah,blahfZRMXT061

To generate hashes for the encrypted password option:

!!! The installation manual recommends using sha512 or sha256 for stronger encryption, so use:

printf "r00tme" | xargs mkpasswd -m sha-512

Otherwise, once you have installed, for temporary access to root use
sudo -i. Then change the password with passwd.

Or, as Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> suggests, do it manually during
installation.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?