Re: Where do you get Virtualbox

On Thu, Mar 31, 2022 at 06:57:04PM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 31/03/2022 à 15:57, The Wanderer a écrit :
> > For myself, the answer is quite simple: I don't. VirtualBox used to make
> > my life easier, but the combination of not being available in Debian
> > testing with the *reasons* why it isn't available there
> > (license-related, last time I checked, if I remember correctly) mean the
> > ways in which it used to make my life easier aren't worth the trouble of
> > getting it from somewhere else, at least not to me.
> >

> > When running stable or testing, installing a package from sid is at
> > least mildly inadvisable - because it may pull in dependencies from sid,
> > thereby leading to your running not only a FrankenDebian but one which
> > is partly sid and therefore includes some of the risks that come with
> > running sid.
> >
> > Installing a package from a third-party repository has its own risks,
> > and I no longer trust Oracle to do the right thing when it comes to
> > open-source software, so I can't recommend installing VirtualBox from
> > their repository.
>

> Alas, you cannot always choose exactly what you use a must comprimise a
> little. For virtualbox one of my interrogations is that the package in sid
> is very good, is stable, but it never goes to testing. There ust be a
> reason, but I could not find it.

I think the reason virtualbox was removed from Debian stable and testing was
the attitude of upstream to patching and, possibly, licensing at one point.

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/virtualbox also suggests python3 transition
issues and an openssl transition are in play.

As others have suggested, virt-manager is a very good substitute.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater