Re: Predictable Network Interface Names

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 10:38:10PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 30 Mar 2022 at 21:50:53 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > > I would see that as a bit strong. A lie is a deliberate action,
> > > knowing the reality rests elesewhere. Good faith and all that :).
> >
> > Perhaps.
>
> Perhaps? Perhaps what? Perhaps it is a lie? freedesktop conceals
> the truth and peddles false information purposefully?

Calm down. There are many shades between Truth (TM) and Lie (TM).
My take is that this specific shade is failing to admit that the
freedesktop folks set out to solve a generally unsolvable problem.

This is one weakness I see with freedesktop often. They try to
fight complexity with ever more complexity, with the end result
of a more user-unfriendly (because less understandable) system.

Nevertheless I thank freedesktop for keeping X (which I do use
a lot) up and running. It's not that I hate them (much less the
people working there). I'm thankful.

Good intentions, pavements, hell, all that.

But hey, this is my take. I'm not in the mood to wage a war over
it. You get to keep your take, I get to keep mine. We could even
remain friends over that.

> > But once I understood what problem this is trying to solve,
> > and how, I decided I haven't that problem, I have net.ifnames=0 in
> > my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, in /etc/default/grub.
>
> Well done! But, if there isn't any problem for you, why go to this
> trouble? Leaving things as they are would seem not to do any harm.

To what trouble? Adding a boot option to my kernel? The trouble
was to find out which one. After that, I'm a happy camper :)

See, for an anecdote: long time ago (this was Linux kernel 2.0.36)
a group of us customised a distro (yes, it was a Debian. Must
have been around Potato or Woody) for a local hardware vendor.
It was a firewall appliance, with four network cards. One of
the ethernet ports was labelled "Internet", the other three "internal
net".

Guess which kind of problem we faced?

After a dive into the PCI spec, the specs of the motherboard
we used at the time, etc. we reached the conclusion that there
is no way to be sure we know which is which (if you follow the
thread here you'll discover exactly that pattern, years down
the history). PCI slots ain't it, because, at the end, hardware
does what it wants. Things become even worse when devices are
hanging off an USB tree. MACs? Some cards are chamaleons and
can change that [1] on the fly. Some can even have more than
one. Yadda, yadda.

Since then, I learnt that I like to relax call my interfaces
"eth0" and "wlan0".

Can we still be friends?

Cheers

[1] I won't bore you with /that/ anecdote, although it's
   funny :)