Re: installing on Lenovo Ideapad 3 now working

Hi,

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Yes, thereabouts. [...]

For those who do not trust themselves to choose the right /dev/sdX
i have prepared a script which asks for plugging in the USB stick
and then uses the newly appeared device file in the output of lsblk.

  https://wiki.debian.org/XorrisoDdTarget

It is meanwhile in Debian Testing
  https://packages.debian.org/unstable/xorriso-dd-target

but can also be downloaded for other Linux systems from
  https://dev.lovelyhq.com/libburnia/libisoburn/raw/master/xorriso-dd-target/xorriso-dd-target
  https://dev.lovelyhq.com/libburnia/libisoburn/raw/master/xorriso-dd-target/xorriso-dd-target.sig

It also unmounts possibly the possibly automounted filesystems on the
USB stick and overwrites a possible GPT backup header at the end of the
device.
Like
  sudo /bin/umount /dev/sdd1
  sudo /bin/umount /dev/sdd2
  sudo /bin/umount /dev/sdd3
  sudo /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/'sdd' bs=512 seek='7864318' count=1 status=none
  sudo /bin/dd if='debian-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso' bs=1M of=/dev/'sdd' status=progress oflag=dsync ; sync

> The default, 512, is definitely too small for somewhat-more-or-less
> current-ish [1] hardware configurations.

I guess dd is from a time when the drives were so slow that this did
not matter.
There are meanings attributed to the block size which matter with
(at least) conv={block,unblock,sync}. So changing the default bs= might
break very old and venerable scripts.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas