Re: Does this happen often with sid?

On 3/28/2022 10:52 AM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:34:01AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
I am new to running the unstable sid distribution. Today I wanted to upgrade
it and when using the dist-upgrade option of apt-get (I think that's
equivalent to the full-upgrade option of apt), I got this:

user@debian:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
required:
   attr grub-xen-bin grub-xen-host libcephfs2 libldap-2.4-2 libldb2
libpython3.9 libpython3.9-minimal
   libpython3.9-stdlib libtdb1 libyaml-0-2 linux-image-5.16.0-3-amd64
python3-dnspython python3-gpg
   python3-importlib-metadata python3-markdown python3-more-itertools
python3-pygments python3-requests-toolbelt
   python3-yaml python3-zipp python3.9 python3.9-minimal samba-common
tdb-tools xen-hypervisor-4.16-amd64
   xen-hypervisor-common xen-utils-common xenstore-utils
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   python3-ldb python3-samba python3-talloc python3-tdb samba
samba-common-bin samba-dsdb-modules samba-libs
   samba-vfs-modules xen-system-amd64 xen-utils-4.16
   libpython3.10-minimal libpython3.10-stdlib python3-charset-normalizer
python3.10 python3.10-minimal
   dirmngr gpg gpg-agent gpg-wks-client gpg-wks-server gpgconf gpgsm
libpython3-stdlib python3 python3-minimal
   python3-requests
11 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 11 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 9,842 kB of archives.
After this operation, 76.2 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
user@debian:~$

The problem is with the section that lists the packages that will be
REMOVED.

It looks like the upgrade to the python3 packages that remove/replace some
existing python3 packages versions triggers apt to also remove samba and
xen-utils-4.16, which I do not want, so I aborted it. Can I expect that in
due time, the python3 dependencies will be updated so the full upgrade can
succeed without removing the xen-utils-4.16 and samba packages?

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

[The xscreensaver person, I presume - \o/ ]

Yes, this is entirely normal in Sid and is the main reason that we discourage
people in general from running it as a distribution: if it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces and are expected to be able to fix missing dependencies.

In this instance, I suspect that samba will be fixed relatively quickly - I'm
honestly not sure how big the Xen team is at the moment.

There's every likelihood that it will gradually be fixed as things move
forwards but this is Sid so there's no guarantee that it won't break
elsewhere in some new and interesting way.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

Thanks, Andy, that seems reasonable. I will try to help the Xen team with
this if I can. I have been in contact with them a bit in the past.

Chuck