Dangerous installation of bullseye: What shall i do next?

Hello Felix,

thank you for your roadmap layout for solving my problem in a smart way.

Am 27.03.2022 um 00:15 schrieb Felix Miata:
> I find online upgrades to be easier than all the reconfiguration necessary to
> reach my happy state starting from a virgin installation.

Yep, i remember the shift from Wheezy to Stretch, i used that method,
but never got rid of the feeling, that i might still carry some old
misconfig due to not starting fresh.

Later, when i went from Stretch to Buster, i used the other mothod, but
that turned out to be some other sort of problem, because the filesysem
in my (ZFS-) pools did carry UIDs and GID's from the older system, and
those failed to match the newer ones... What a mess! ... And there are
still residues from it. So i was hoping, that a new, fresh install would
at least be consistent to itself, and that i would have to correct the
file attributes only once before i would definitely mount the ZFS
filesystems.

And anyhow, many things, i was doing uptil now, are not going to be
prolonged into the future. Several software solutions will have to be
replaced by current ones working differently. (Just to give you an
example: Currently, i am writing from thunderbird 52.9.1 + enigmail,
which will not work in bullseye. But Thunderbird (current) has an unsafe
cryptography, which forces me to look for alternatives. This problem
alone could turn out to have major implications!)

That is why a simple full-upgrade is not going to satisfy my needs
anyhow. Maybe, i am going to take both approaches and have 2 resulting
root partitions on top of the buster one for the time being, until i
feel ready to decide?

Once again: I feel honored by your kind explanations, which invite me to
think ahead... Very much appreciated!

Thank you, DdB
PS: Sorry: i messed up recipient and list address, causing unnecessary
duplication. :-(