Re: Thunderbird security

On 2022-03-26 at 07:20, Dan Ritter wrote:

> André Rodier wrote:
>
>> I would like to collect, from this thread, your experience and opinion about
>> Mozilla Thunderbird, in term of security.
>
> Security is always a tradeoff with usability; Thunderbird is so
> heavily skewed towards usability, it has a whole web browser in
> it.

And it's *still* better in that respect than, say, Outlook.

Or essentially any modern Web-based E-mail interface.

>> In term of security, Which email clients, or which practices, you would
>> recommend to me ?
>
> The number one recommendation would be a mail client that cannot
> execute JavaScript or show you pictures directly. Fixing that
> solves many user security issues.

To be fair, Thunderbird in "display messages as plain text" mode serves
adequately well in that regard. (Though there are unfortunately-many
messages where it won't display them in any usable form - but a lot of
those seem to be more the fault of poor structuring of the mail on the
part of the sender, and Outlook tends to handle such messages even
worse.)

--
   The Wanderer