Re: swap maxed out when plenty of RAM available

Adam Weremczuk <adamw@matrixscience.com> writes:

> The container was running like that for several months until this morning when its core service (dhcp) started failing.

Just a wild guess, but do you know what caused dhcp to fail?  Was it too
little memory?

> I logged in to investigate and noticed 100% of swap being used with maybe 10-20% of RAM in use.

If I recall correctly, Linux may choose to swap pages out in order to
free up physical memory in order to use said memory for buffers and
caches.  This is a performance optimization.  So if there are pages
which have not been touched for a while, but I/O performance might
benefit from a larger cache, this is actually good for performance.

Regards,
Nathanael