Re: ntp & ntpsec headless installation issues in Debian 11 (bullseye)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 11:21:30AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> It makes little sense to have two or more NTP clients installed on the
> same host. Thus installing one should uninstall others.

In jessie, stretch and buster, systemd-timesyncd was not a separate
package.  The systemd-timesyncd program was part of the systemd package,
which was of course installed by default.  The unit file was written
so that if any of the *programs* from any of the other Debian NTP
packages (ntp, chrony, openntpd) exists, then systemd-timesyncd would
not start.  If you installed ntp (for example), then ntpd would run,
but systemd-timesyncd would not.

(I'm looking at a buster box right now, and
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-timesyncd.service.d/disable-with-time-daemon.conf
contains the relevant directives.)

In bullseye, this configuration was changed.  systemd-timesyncd is now
a separate package, and is still installed by default (assuming one does
not change the init system).  If ntp or chrony or openntpd is installed,
then systemd-timesyncd is removed, as they all have this:

unicorn:~$ apt-cache show systemd-timesyncd | grep Prov
Provides: time-daemon
unicorn:~$ apt-cache show ntp | grep Prov
Provides: time-daemon
[...]

So, while it may "make little sense" to do it the older way, apparently
the Debian developers found it sensible for three releases.  The current
method is definitely a change, and if the OP is running various scripts
that relied on the old method, those scripts may need to change.