Re: update, reboot required?

On 3/18/22, Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 10:32:49PM -0400, Lee wrote:
>> How to tell if I need to reboot the machine after updating the software?
>
> Reboots are needed if you got a new kernel, or new firmware, or new
> microcode, or a new version of the dbus package (because dbus cannot
> be restarted).

I guessed that much :)  I just updated a laptop that had been turned
off for a while & noticed it got a new vmlinuz-5.10.0-12-amd64 .. and
after the update uname -a still showed 5.10.0-10, so it was pretty
clear that a reboot was needed.

But the chances of me realizing that something is a dbus package or
firmware or pretty much anything else isn't something I'd bet on.  So
it would be nice if there was some program that would just say that I
needed to reboot  .. even better would be if Synaptic said so right
after the update process finished.

Thanks
Lee