Thunderbird / Dovecot TLS Problem

I've been using Thunderbird for years now but made some minor tweaks as
I'm setting up an imap proxy for remote access to my
debian/dovecot/postfix server.

The issue is I changed the account settings in thunderbird to use
STARTTLS and port 993. It now doesn't work. I see a connection in
wireshark, but then nothing happens and dovecot logs no attempt to
authenticate and it just times out.

I also installed claws email (which I'm using for this email) It has
the same settings and works flawlessly from the same client machine I
use for thunderbird. I conclude there are no routing issues or firewall
issues.

So the question is what do I need to do to thunderbird to get it to
work with dovecot TLS / 993 ?

Thunderbird: 78.14.0(64 bit)

dovecot --version
2.3.13 (89f716dc2)

cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/";
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support";
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/";

The only other perhaps relevant thing is I did a distro upgrade from 10
to 11 yesterday.

Thanks in advance

Jeremy

P.S. claws is very snappy!