Re: Installing minimal command line system with netinst.iso

On Thu, 3 Mar 2022 14:24:29 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I have limited internet connectivity.
> I have read over the years that installing a *MINIMAL* command line
> system from netinst.iso [without internet is possible].
> The intent to add pieces later assumed.
> Is this process described somewhere?
>
> I've got a system that appears to have a very minimal shell running.
> My potential internet connection is a USB connected hotspot from
> T-Mobile. On a typical GUI installed Debian it runs fine.
>
> My minimal system doesn't recognize it.
> What might be the missing software?
>
> Any suggestions?
> My effective data cap at the moment is ~1 GB/month.
> Among my goals is installer for those with _*minimal*_ resources.

I'm assuming you're connecting your phone directly via its USB port to a
USB port on your computer.  You probably need to make an entry
in /etc/network/interfaces. Plus, enable "USB tethering" (not wifi) in
Settings/Network on your phone.  Here's my interfaces entry:

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet dhcp

My phone gets recognized as usb0, your's my differ.  Make the
correction, if needed.

iface usb0 inet dhcp