Re: What should I put inside the file called wlan0?

On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 07:44:35PM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> Mon cheri
>
> > Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2022 at 11:50 PM
> > From: "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk>

[...]

> > In addition, when using "source-directory"¹, you can leave all the
> > configuration files in place, and deactivate them by, say, adding
> > a disallowed character to their filenames, rather than having to
> > remove them.
> >
> Can you give me an example of (sic) adding a disallowed character to their filenames? Does Linux permit the use of forbidden characters in filenames?

I think David meant "disallowed wrt the 'source-directory' statement
in the interfaces file. The man page (man 5 interfaces) has this to
say:

  "Similarly,  "source-directory"  keyword is used to source
  multiple files at once, without specifying them individually
  or using shell globs. Additionally, when "source-directory"
  is used, names of the files are checked to match the following
  regular expression: ^[a-zA-Z0-9_-]+$. In other words, the
  names must consist entirely of ASCII upper- and lower-case
  letters, ASCII digits,  ASCII  underscores, and ASCII minus-
  hyphens."

I.e. all other characters would be "disallowed" in this context.
E.g. renaming "my-cool-interface" to "#my-cool-interface" would
exclude it from being included by a "source-directory" statement.

As to your other question, that would depend on the file system,
but as far as Linux is concerned, only the slash "/" and the
NULL character are taboo for file names.

Cheers