Re: Make Debian automount mount devices in read only

On Thu 03 Mar 2022 at 10:00:09 +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My desktop computer (Debian 11.2) auto-mounts USB devices (hard disks,
> etc.)
>
> I would like the devices to be mounted in read only mode by default. I
> will remount them in rw if I need to.
>
> They are not in my /etc/fstab
>
> I've been looking at udev configuration files, rules, etc. but I'm
> unsure which is the best way to go.
>
> Is anyone here a bit more familiar with udev, systemd, etc. let me know
> of a good approach please? The current Debian (and for many versions)
> worked so well for me that I haven't dealt with this kind of settings,
> I don't know which is the right tool to setup or how they interact with
> eachother in detail anymore :-)

I have a USB stick containing audio files and in /etc/fstab there is

 LABEL=MUSIC-1  /media/MUSIC-1  vfat ro,gid=1000,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,noatime,noauto,user,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0

Mounting takes place only when the decice is accessed.

  * x-systemd.automount: mounts /media/MUSIC-1 when a command wants
    to access it.
  * systemd.idle-timeout: unmounts the partition a specified time
    period after the calling program ceases to access it.
  * noauto: causes /media/MUSIC-1 not to be mounted while the machine
    is booting.
  * x-systemd.device-timeout: configures how long systemd should wait
    when no device is plugged in or an incorrect device is found.

I haven't any idea how this fits in with having udisks on the system or
remounting a disk rw, or even how it fits your objectives.

--
Brian.