Re: Startx works, but sddm/lightdm/xdm doesn't

On Mon, Feb 28 2022, Felix Miata wrote:

> There are two nouveau drivers:
>
> 	kernel device
> 	display device
> 		modesetting
> 		nouveau
>
> Both possible full-function display device drivers depend on the nouveau kernel
> driver (module). inxi -Gayz will show both. Try switching from the one in current
> use to the other. Adding or purging xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is typically the
> simplest way to switch between them. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ can also be used to
> make the switch by explicitly declaring the chosen driver. The in-use display
> driver is announced in roughly half the lines in each Xorg.#.log.

Interestingly, purging xserver-xorg-video-nouveau didn't change
anything.  However, removing modesetting_drv.so from
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers did.  That solved the problem.

But it didn't switch to nouveau; it went to fbdev.

But, since I also want to boot this drive on other machines that need
it, I can't just leave it that way.  It also leaves open the question of
why it worked fine in startx, or after logging in with sddm, which is
darn weird to me.

> Try disabling Plymouth, appending one of the following to the end of the linu line
> after striking the E key at the Grub menu:

Thanks for the tip; no change there (I wasn't using the graphical stuff
anyhow).

> If none help, try appending your display's native mode & refresh instead, e.g.:
>
> 	video=1920x1080@60
>
> If this works, likely an edit to /etc/default/grub about graphics handling or
> theme, and regeneration of /boot/grub/grub.cfg, is indicated.

It's also already getting that right from EDID, so I'm pretty sure
that's not the issue.

Thanks again!

John