Re: What should I put inside the file called wlan0?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 08:59:03PM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> Dearie,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> > Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2022 at 3:10 AM
> > From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: Re: What should I put inside the file called wlan0?
> >

> > So if you have this in your /etc/network/interfaces somewhere:

> >   ## Bahn ICE
> >   iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> >     wireless-essid WIFIonICE
> >     wireless-mode Auto
> >
> > (it's actually my current setting, BTW :) you could swap that
> > out to some file under interfaces.d.
>
> The contents of my current /etc/network/interfaces file are:
>
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug wlp3s0
> iface wlp7s0 inet static
>         wpa-ssid JupiterRising
>         wpa-psk {a long string of alphanumeric characters}
>         address 192.168.1.99/24
>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>         # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
>         dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1 8.8.8.8
>
> Are you saying that I can cut out the above contents and paste them into a file called wlp7s0 (whose path is /etc/network/interfaces.d/)?

That's how I read that man page, yes (disclaimer: I haven't actually
tried).

However, if I remember your original post correctly, there were security
reasons mentioned (about a possibly world readable /etc/network/interfaces,
and splitting out an .../interfaces.d/wlan0 as a fix), Note that by default
(in Debian, at least) /etc/network/interfaces is only root-readable. So
this wouldn't be the reason you'd want to do the split (there are other
valid reasons, though).

Cheers