Re: What should I put inside the file called wlan0?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 07:49:32PM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> I quote from Debian Wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse) :
>
> "Restrict the permissions of /etc/network/interfaces, to prevent pre-shared key (PSK) disclosure (alternatively use a separate config file such as /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0 on newer Debian versions): "
>
> What should I put in the file called wlan0? Said wiki does not provide examples.

man 5 interfaces provides the relevant bits: by default, the files
in interfaces.d are (textually) included in interfaces. So each
of those files can basically have a "snippet" of what you would
put in interfaces (to avoid losing sanity, whole stanzas seem
recommendable).

So if you have this in your /etc/network/interfaces somewhere:

  ## Bahn ICE
  iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid WIFIonICE
    wireless-mode Auto

(it's actually my current setting, BTW :) you could swap that
out to some file under interfaces.d.

Cheers