Re: Cannot upgrade circular udev dependency

On 2/16/22 9:03 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 07:19:34AM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
Hi -- I have a machine, Linux ancient 2.6.36.2 #1 SMP Sun Dec 26 06:19:57
PST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
[…]

Since release 198, udev requires support for the following features in
the running kernel:

- inotify(2)            (CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER)
- signalfd(2)           (CONFIG_SIGNALFD)
- accept4(2)
- open_by_handle_at(2)  (CONFIG_FHANDLE)
- timerfd_create(2)     (CONFIG_TIMERFD)
- epoll_create(2)       (CONFIG_EPOLL)
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/udev_232-25+deb9u13_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
falling back to defaults
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported;
falling back to defaults
 /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_232-25+deb9u13_amd64.deb
[…]

There are clearly lots of barriers put in to keep people from making
mistakes, but it's also keeping me from upgrading. Is there a solution?
To have ended up trying to run Debian stretch software on a 2.6.32
kernel you have made some pretty extreme decisions far outside what
Debian supports.

You have got to get onto a more modern kernel so you can upgrade
udev. If you somehow force udev to get installed while still running
that 2.6.32 kernel you will be in a world of pain because it just
won't work and you very likely won't complete another boot.

You haven't elaborated as to why any of the newer kernels you have
installed won't boot.

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks, Andy. I didn't have physical access to the machine, so I didn't know why the kernels didn't boot. But I revered to jesse in sources.list and was able to install a new kernel, which is now booting fine. So in spite of my extreme decisions, Debian handled the upgrade well.

Dave