Firefox insists to be default browser ...

Hi all,

After the recent upgrade of Firefox and Thunderbird in oldoldstable (Mate desktop), about a month ago or so, when the versions changed from 60-something to 90-something, Firefox annoyingly keeps asking me to be the default browser, even though I always respond to that asking by click on 'dont ask me again', and have set it as default browser in Mate's Control Center default applications.

Furthermore, Thunderbird is also set there as default email client. However, if I click on a weblink in Thunderbird mail, another Thunderbird session opens (instead opening Firefox). And when I close both software, and return to Mate Control Center to check again for default applications ... voila ... Thunderbird seems as magically selected itself for web browser too (both with mail client)!

How to prevent that misbehaviour? All worked well for me with older versions of Firefox and Thunderbird (before that version jump to 90 something). What went wrong with the new versions?

Misko