Re: 73-usb-net-by-mac.rules is no longer used in Bullseye for USB ethernet devices?

	Hi.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 03:55:21AM -0600, Flacusbigotis wrote:
> Back in Debian Buster, I learned that the "predictive" naming of this USB
> ethernet interface would be governed by "73-usb-net-by-mac.rules" and so I
> had it configured accordingly with a config file in
> /etc/network/interfaces.d/... Namely that the device name would basically
> be its MAC.

It's still true in Bullseye, but the implementation has changed
somewhat.
Instead of /lib/udev/rules.d/73-usb-net-by-mac.rules now systemd uses
/lib/systemd/network/73-usb-net-by-mac.link.

> Well, I just upgraded to Bullseye, and I can't bring up the darn
> interface.  I have tried fiddling around with the device name in my config
> file in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ directory, but it just won't come up.
> The Networking.service also fails during bootup.

A straightforward approach would be to learn the actual name of the
device via "ip a"/"ifconfig -a", and then using that name in /e/n/i.

> Anyone know how the heck this is supposed to work in Bullseye?

systemd.link(5), systemd.net-naming-scheme(7).
The keyword you need is NamePolicy=mac.

> BTW, the device shows up as disabled in lshw (I obfuscated the MAC in the
> output):
>
>  *-network DISABLED

That could mean anything. Please show the output of "ip a".

Reco