Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?

Hello The Wanderer

> Sent: Monday, February 14, 2022 at 8:48 PM
> From: "The Wanderer" <wanderer@fastmail.fm>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?
>

> Do you have any reason to believe that it might? As compared to any
> other random library that Debian provides.

No, I don't have the technical knowledge to audit libthai. My point is that why pull in non-English dependencies for an English-language installation....Doing so may increase the chance of attacks by hackers.

The argument that an app, library or distro is open source does not really mitigate the risks of attacks.

Consider the below decade-old bugs that had been "hiding" in plain sight:

CVE-2016-5195 (Dirty COW)
CVE-2014-0160 (Heartbleed)
CVE-2016-8655
CVE-2017-6074