Re: Captive Portal Alternatives (Was: Re: miracle of Firefox in the hotel)

Brian writes:

On Sun 13 Feb 2022 at 16:02:53 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 02:41:31PM +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
> > Brian writes:

[...]

> > > Could the process to replace them on, say, public transport be > > > outlined?

[...]

> > * RFC8910 - Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP and Router
> >   Advertisements (RAs). I never never heard of it before searching
> >   for “Alternatives to captive portals wifi” online :)
>
> * Joining a local initiative providing free connectivity (and, of
>   course, lobbying your local policy makers that this be legal;
>   the very idea of providing free stuff tends to be suspect).
>
> Freifunk [...] is one successful example.

Interesting.

Captive portals provide free connectivity. What's the problem?

[...]

I do not use Wifi with captive portals very often so I have only experienced a limited subset of problems, but I can think of at least the following issues:

- Security: Intercepting requests to arbitrary pages and replying with
  some other content is quite similar to a MITM adversary. Hence,
  users following the recommended “prefer HTTPS” usage will get
  certificate errors instead.
  The RFC explains this much better than I could do under section
  “5. Security Considerations”.

  Also, I think the OP's problem is caused exactly by this.

  For captive portals to work in a HTTPS-preferring browser quirks
  like those implemented by Firefox are needed i.e. try to detect
  the Internet connectivity by connecting to the vendor's URL...
  not good for privacy and only a heursitics.

- Browser requirements: Captive portals often require a JS-capable
  browser to accept their terms etc. This is probably acceptable for
  Notebooks and “Smartphones”, but any other type of device will often
  be unable to access a captive-portal-protected Wifi. I have not tested
  it but I would imagine that it be tough to join such a network for the
  purpose of playing with a handheld console (e.g. Nintendo 2DS or such)
  on a train given that the device's webbrowser is very limited.

- Acutally, not all captive portals provide ”free” connectivity. At least
  not in the freedom sense. IIRC in Italy, they request your tax number
  before allowing you to use the Wifi on the trains? You pay with your
  data... According to [1] I seem to misremember this: They want your
  phone number or credit card number instead. It seems that on some lines
  they have eliminated this need for registration (not sure if that means
  there is no longer any captive portal at all).

It might only be anecdotical but here is another counter-intuitive problem caused by captive portals [2].

[1] https://www.trenitalia.com/it/offerte_e_servizi/portale-frecce/come-accedere-al-portale-frecce.html
[2] https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/captive-web-portals-are-considered-harmful/

HTH and YMMV
Linux-Fan