Re: Stupid question

On Du, 13 feb 22, 02:40:27, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:

> This is my understanding of how grub works.
>
> It looks you are using the old MBR partitioning scheme. The logical
> partition indicates that.
> So I also assume you are using the legacy booting (not UEFI). So the first
> thing that
> happens is that you will have an active partition set that your BIOS will
> boot (if you have
> standard bootcode installed in the first sector of the disk).

Legacy BIOS doesn't have an understanding of partitions, it will just
look for a bootloader in the MBR of the mass storage device chosen to
boot from.

The active / bootable flag was (still is?) a Microsoft thing[1], Linux
bootloaders never cared about it and can load operating systems
regardless if the corresponding partition is marked active or not.

[1] as far as I recall it was used in DOS times to let the bootloader
know which is the system partition, but it could be (ab)used for
multi-booting ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei