Re: Plop in Debian install HDD into entirely new system

Dan Ritter composed on 2022-02-11 15:52 (UTC-0500):

> Thomas Anderson wrote:

>> I was curious what would happen if I threw my server HDD, into an entirely
>> new system:
>>... intel ...

> This will usually mostly work. Things to think about:
... > - you'll need to install different video drivers
Unless you've installed proprietary drivers, this is highly unlikely. The kernel
selects the only appropriate hardware module (driver), which is provided with each
individual kernel, automatically. The X systems are highly competent at selecting
an appropriate display driver for Intel IGPs. There are only two that matter, one
of which (intel) hasn't had an official release in going on a decade and is
unofficially deprecated, the other, which is the default, being of younger
technology and applicable to AMD, Intel and NVidia GPUs, as well as others.

> - disk names may change

But not UUIDs, so it shouldn't matter, but could.

Plopping a disk from one PC into another is pretty routine here, not a big deal in
most cases, but could be if you've set MODULES=dep instead of MODULES=most in
/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf. Traditionally it's been necessary to restore
most and rebuild initrd before the switch when going between AMD and Intel. I
haven't tested in a while whether that's still true. IMO, NIC poses the biggest
potential nuisance, if your new hardware is too new. If network works, other
things are usually easily fixed, if they even broke.

A quite new potential obstacle is newer Intel motherboard chipsets do not enable
the UEFI BIOS to provide a CSM boot option. The B560 chipset in my Rocket Lake
LGA1200 does not. According to Asus, all 500 series Intel chipsets are this way.
If you put your disk with an MBR configuration in and it isn't recognized as
bootable, this could be the reason, and a pain to correct.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata