Re: addendum, Re: One-user system.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:27:22 -0500
Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> wrote:

> In the more usual scenario, you have started X as peter, and then used
> su to become root.  It is precisely at this point where the X auth
> token has become lost, as it's in the home directory of peter, not
> the home directory of root.  If peter's home directory is on a local
> file system, then root can probably read it.  In that case, you can
> simply do:
>
> export XAUTHORITY=/home/peter/.Xauthority

Interesting. I routinely log in as my non-root user, charles, and then
'su -', which gets me a root shell. I can then run X programs just
fine. So your comment above got me curious.

charles@jhegaala:~/Desktop$ su -
Password:

Today is Sweetmorn, the 41st of Chaos, 3188. Lies and slander, sire!
root@jhegaala:~# echo $XAUTHORITY
/home/charles/.Xauthority
root@jhegaala:~#

So I expect that something has already done the export for me, and it
is unnecessary.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com