Re: dpkg --configure -a crashes system

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 7:13 PM Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:

> I can't install/upgrade because I get the message
>
> > E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
>
> When I run the dpkg command I get one message
> > Setting up linux-image-4.19.0-18-amd64 (4.19.208-1)
>
> then within a few seconds the system crashes.
>
> Any ideas? Is there a log file I can look in that might
> contain something useful? Any help is appreciated!
>
> TIA!!
> Dennis

If I had this problem I would assume a hardware fault - dpkg shouldn't
crash the whole system. To debug it I would open up three terminals
that you can monitor, running these three:
1. sudo journalctl -f
2. sudo dmesg -Hw
3. sudo dpkg --configure -a (or whatever)

Hopefully any of those might give you a clue. If not, check "sudo
journalctl -b -1 -e" after the next crash, and see if something was
logged.