Re: OpenSSH: cause of random kex_exchange_identification errors?

On Wed 02 Feb 2022 at 15:44:32 (+0100), Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> When I want to connect with SSH (ssh/scp) to some machine, I sometimes
> get errors, either
>
> kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>
> or
>
> kex_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
>
> immediately after the connection attempt. This happens randomly,
> and there are some periods where this happens quite often. The
> client machine doesn't seem to matter, and this issue also even
> occurs from machines on the local network.

My only guess about what might be random is whether there's a race
between connectiong via IPv4 and IPv6 (printed earlier in the debug log).

Does one end of any failing connection always involve 8.7p1
(that's from testing, isn't it)?

Does it happen on ports other than 22? (If you're like me, almost
everything I see goes through port 22 at one end or the other.)

Cheers,
David.