Re: i386 or AMD64 - Which is currently running?

> that's not running a 64bit userspace on a 32bit kernel,

Why not?  You have a 64bit system on top, a 32bit kernel at the bottom
and whether execution of those 64bit binaries is performed directly by
the CPU or via binfmt + qemu is just an implementation detail.

There is an important difference, of course: while you can run a "pure
i386" system on top of an amd64 kernel, you'll need some of the 32bit
system installed (e.g. qemu) in order to run the rest of the system.

> linux was not the first to do that, and many systems let you run binaries
> from an older version on a newer version, but I'm not aware of any that
> worked the other way around

It's typically used to run systems from an "incomparable" CPU.
E.g. to run RISC-V code on an PC.  Which one is older and which one is
newer doesn't really matter.

        Stefan