CLARIFICATION --- Re: i386 or AMD64 - Which is currently running?

On 01/31/2022 02:01 PM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 31 Jan 2022 at 11:38:17 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

   uname -m

Are you saying that that doesn't reveal whether I've installed a 64 or a 32
bit release?

It does not.  It only reveals which kernel is running.

As I said in another message, you could have a 32-bit userspace with
a 64-bit kernel.  If that's the case, then uname -m gives you the wrong
answer.

You want dpkg --print-architecture, or else file /bin/ls (or some other
program that's guaranteed to be there, and to be a compiled native
executable file).

Technically correct, but Curt's response was good enough for Richard
Owlett to make progress. Richard Owlett is very unlikely to be using
a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userspace.

My hardware can support either 32 or 64 bit OS.
I *ONLY* use one or the other.
My goal is to determine which I chose at installation.