Re: btfs disk compatibility between i386 and amd64

On Mi, 26 ian 22, 17:33:04, Joseph Brenner wrote:
> I was wondering if the on-disk data format for btrfs is
> compatible between the i386 and amd64 code bases--
> e.g. would you expect to be able to swap data drives
> between machines running either?

In general yes.

> I've got an old i386 installation with /home in it's
> own partition, and I'm wondering if I can expect to just
> unlink /home and install a new amd64 version, and then link
> in the home parition again.

Careful, unlink in the *nix world typically means delete (a file), while
you probably meant unmount / mount.

In general there shouldn't be a problem for newer kernels to read older
versions of a particular file system[1], but the other way around can be
a problem.

More than that, as far as I recall some newer kernels would
automatically enable some new features thus rendering the particular
file system unreadable for older kernels[2].

In any case, this should be very well documented for every file system,
so you should check the btrfs documentation for that.

[1] In this context I consider the various ext file systems to be
different file systems, not different versions of the same file system,
although they do have much more in common between them then with xfs or
so.

[2] I believe this was with ext4, but it could have been ext3

Kind regards,
Andrei