Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Ma, 25 ian 22, 21:27:17, gene heskett wrote:

> It works fine with no complaints.
>
> Here is the bottom of /etc/dhcpcd.conf:
>
> # Example static IP configuration:
> #interface eth0
> #static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
> #static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
> #static routers=192.168.0.1
> #static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8 fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::1
>
> # It is possible to fall back to a static IP if DHCP fails:
> # define static profile
> profile static_eth0
> static ip_address=192.168.71.13/24
> static routers=192.168.71.1
> static domain_name_servers=192.168.71.1
>
> # fallback to static profile on eth0
> interface eth0
> fallback static_eth0
>
> So if dhcpd fails, it uses the above, and it Just Works.
> And I've not found any reference to it in the man page. So I've no clue
> why it seems to be such a huge, no one knows about it secret.

This must be the most complicated, round-about, inefficient method I've
ever seen to configure a static IP :)

Is it so difficult to find out what is the canonical method to configure
a static IP on a Raspberry Pi OS? This is such a basic task it should be
somewhere in their documentation, wiki, whatever.

Even if they don't officially support static IPs (which I seriously
doubt), you could still find out what is starting dhcpcd and disable it.

Then it should be possible to configure a static IP with any of Debian's
network management tools you like. You might need to install it first
though, preferably while the network connection is still up ;).

Kind regards,
Andrei