Re: hostname is being reset, killing net on reboot

On Wed 26 Jan 2022 at 05:14:32 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 11:36:05 PM EST David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > It works fine with no complaints.
> >
> > OK. I've already forgotten what you complained [about] in this thread's OP.
> >
> > > Here is the bottom of /etc/dhcpcd.conf:
> > >
> > > # Example static IP configuration:
> > > #interface eth0
> > > #static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
> > > #static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
> > > #static routers=192.168.0.1
> > > #static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8
> > > fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::1
> > >
> > > # It is possible to fall back to a static IP if DHCP fails:
> > > # define static profile
> > > profile static_eth0
> > > static ip_address=192.168.71.13/24
> > > static routers=192.168.71.1
> > > static domain_name_servers=192.168.71.1
> > >
> > > # fallback to static profile on eth0
> > > interface eth0
> > > fallback static_eth0
> > >
> > > So if dhcpd fails, it uses the above, and it Just Works.
> > > And I've not found any reference to it in the man page. So I've no
> > > clue why it seems to be such a huge, no one knows about it secret.
> > Drum roll … …
> >
> > CONTENTS/usr/share/man/man5/dhcpcd.conf.5.gz
> >
> > DHCPCD.CONF(5)              BSD File Formats Manual
> > DHCPCD.CONF(5)
> >
> > NAME
> >      dhcpcd.conf — dhcpcd configuration file
> >
> > [ … ]
> >
> >      profile name
> >              Subsequent options are only parsed for this profile name.
> >
> > [ … ]
> >
> >      static value
> >              Configures a static value.  If you set ip_address then
> > dhcpcd will not attempt to obtain a lease and will just use the value
> > for the address with an infinite lease time.  If you set ip6_address,
> > dhcpcd will continue auto-configuation as normal.
> >
> > [ … ]
> >
> >                    interface eth0
> >                    [ … ]
> >                    static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
> >                    [ … ]
> >                    static routers=192.168.0.1
> >                    static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1
> >
> > [ … ]
> >
> >      fallback profile
> >              Fall back to using this profile if DHCP fails.  This
> > allows you to configure a static profile instead of using ZeroConf.
> >
> > /That/ seems clear enough to me.
> >
> `twould indeed be clear David, but man keeps telling me no such file.

And the first word in "CONTENTS/usr/share/man/man5/dhcpcd.conf.5.gz"
should tell you that I don't have that file either, but I downloaded
dhcpcd5_7.1.0-2+b1_amd64.deb just as I did last time you raised this.
And if I type "man" into google, I get a list of previously sought
man pages as the response, rather than "camera tv".

> > But excuse me if I was labouring under the impression that you wanted
> > to nuke DHCP lest "some coder dinking around in dhcp code thinks the
> > whole world is volatile".
>
> The responses I get from this list or any list positively reeks of NIH
> syndrome if you want to do something different for a home net that
> doesn't depend on dhcp. hosts files existed and ran the internet before
> dhcp.

And when you install Debian, it helpfully writes one for you. I don't
know what is NIH about that. But your response here doesn't state
unambiguously whether you want to run DHCP or not, nor whether you do
or don't. Others have suggested that the OS you're actually dealing
with is one that sets up certain things in a non-Debian manner. If so,
then you need to investigate what those things are, and fit your
changes round them, rather than just fighting it, trying to return to
some "Golden Age" of networking from the 1990s.

Cheers,
David.