Re: mailutils-pop3d not able to get it working

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022, Franco Martelli wrote:

On 25/01/22 at 19:46, Tim Woodall wrote:

I use dovecot but imap rather than pop3. I used to use mailutils-pop3d
but I don't remember why I changed. dovecot does support pop3.

Tim.

mailutils-pop3d is a nightmare I don't know how to setup it.
Do you know if dovecot have access to system email stored in /var/mail/... ?

Yes. I use mbox in /var/mail and Maildir in /home. Both work.

I vaguely recall that getting this setup like this was a bit of effort
but there were a lot of moving parts I needed to update when I moved
from mbox to Maildir in dovecot. I think I was able to copy everything
from one format to the other using dovecot, imap and alpine but it was a
while ago.

(And the reason I changed was mbox was causing large incremental
backups. I haven't noticed any difference in performance etc so I have
no comment on which is better unless you have 'archive' masilboxes that
trigger 200MB of incremental backups each time you add a single 2k
email)

Tim.