Re: Bullseye - who and users return nothing

On Tue 25 Jan 2022, at 10:47, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ma, 25 ian 22, 04:03:17, Gareth Evans wrote:
>>
>> Googling "Detected unsafe path transition during canonicalization" led me to
>>
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=260924
>>
>> where a user sees this error because / is owned by the user rather than root.
>>
>> Lo and behold
>>
>> $ stat /
>>
>> shows this is what has somehow happened.
>>
>> $ sudo chown root:root /
>>
>> solves the disappearing /var/run/utmp problem (and fixes who/users)
>>
>> There is nothing in bash history to suggest I did this - can/should it happen any other way?
>

> Occam's Razor would suggest this was done when setting up your / on ZFS.

Hi Andrei,

chown root:root /

fixed both this issue and my need (today, as discussed in my other email) to

modprobe tun

to be able to run VMs with virt-manager.

That was a new problem I only noticed today when setting up a VM to find/grep relevant strings/filenames that would exist in a new installation.  I use VMs more often than who/users but have certainly done both without issue since setting up / on ZFS.

But worth bearing in mind :)

Thanks
Gareth