I've been caught out

Greetings all;

I must admit its been quite a few years since the last time I used patch.
Basck in the early 90's when the amiga was king in the graphic arts.
And it then had a syntax of 'patch -p1 < path/to/patchfile'
But now I have a ../patch directory with 50 or so files in it, and patch
is spanking me, starting with an ambiguous redirect if the < is used,
And while it finds the patch file without it, its reporting an extra
operand. So whats todays syntax for a ../dir full of patches?

Example:
gene@coyote:~/Debian-arm/linux$ patch -p1  ../patches/*.patch
patch: ../patches/0001-mm-memcg-Disable-threshold-event-handlers-on-
PREEMPT.patch: extra operand

And the man page doesn't address the 'extra operand' error.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis