Re: smartd

    From: Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net>
    Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:07:23 +0000
> > Two parts are available to mount /root; /root can be on /dev/sda1 or
> > /dev/sda2.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by this statement.

I should have referred to / rather than /root.

peter@joule:/home/peter$ lsblk --list | grep '\(N\|sda\)'
NAME MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda    8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk
sda1   8:1    0     7G  0 part
sda2   8:2    0     7G  0 part /
sda3   8:3    0     8G  0 part [SWAP]
sda4   8:4    0   127G  0 part /home

Currently / is in sda2 and sda1 is not used. If the faulty media is
strictly in sda2, it can be avoided by shifting / to sda1.

> You are better off finding the damaged sectors and causing the drive
> to remap them by writing new content in there. Then you don't have
> to keep track yourself of which sections of the disk are unusable.

I don't understand how bad sectors are "remapped".  The process is
internal to the drive?  Depends on Linux software? What about
connecting the drive to another system and applying fsck to each part?
Then decide whether to scrap the drive.

> Consumer HDDs usually have a few hundred spare sectors for
> remapping.

What happens when all spare sectors are allocated?  Any indication  to
prevent silent loss of data?

 Thanks,                    ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147