Re: User group "users"

On Vi, 21 ian 22, 14:49:09, Steve Keller wrote:
> I see that on my Debian systems there is a user group "users" with GID 100,
> but by default no user gets added to it.  So what is the purpose or reason
> to have it?
>
> >From old Unix installations I know the group "users" which every user was
> a member of, by default.

According to /usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.txt.gz

   users
          While Debian systems use the user-group system by
          default (each user has their own group), some prefer to
          use a more traditional group system. In that system,
          each user is a member of the 'users' group.

It's probably there to "reserve" GID 100 and preserve compatibility with
other systems using this system.

Kind regards,
Andrei