Re: User group "users"

On 21/01/2022 15:59, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 02:49:09PM +0100, Steve Keller wrote:
I see that on my Debian systems there is a user group "users" with GID 100,
but by default no user gets added to it.  So what is the purpose or reason
to have it?

>From old Unix installations I know the group "users" which every user was
a member of, by default.

New users have gid 100 set as their primary group by default.  So, new
users are members of the group without having to be added to the group
in /etc/groups.

This might be specific to your installation.
Usually users have by default their own group.

Cheers,
Jerome

Regards,

-Roberto