Re: Chromium security updates

On 2022-01-19 at 19:08, Richmond wrote:

> I see debian 10's chromium is currently on version 90.0.4430.212
> (Developer Build), whereas google-chrome is on Version 97.0.4692.99
> (Official Build) (64-bit). Does that mean it is out of date and has
> security vulnerabilities?

Roughly speaking, yes, but there's background and context here.

First up: the version of Chromium in Debian stable, like that of every
other package in stable, will remain unchanged until such a time as a
new Debian point release is made. However, there may be updated versions
made available in stable-backports in the meantime. (I do not use
stable-backports myself, so anyone who knows better than I do may feel
free to clarify, amplify, or correct on this.)

Recent-ish-ly, there was discussion about dropping Chromium from Debian
entirely (except for the version in stable, which would remain unchanged
and quickly become stale), because the packagers couldn't keep up with
updating the packaged version against the upstream releases, and as such
vulnerable versions were being shipped for too long anyway. If I recall
correctly and my archives are accurate, the chromium package actually
*was* dropped from Debian testing at that point, with the most recent
release before the drop having been 93.0.4577.82.

I followed parts of that discussion, and from what I can tell, the
outcome of it was that more people stepped forward and took up
maintenance of the Debian packages for Chromium. Version 97.0.4692.71 is
now in Debian testing, and I understand that a stable-backports build
was pending, as of the last word in the part of the discussion I was
following (about a week ago now); that version, or a successor, should
make it into an updated version of Debian stable at some point.

That may not help very much for now, but it should give hope for the
future on this front, as well as bring relief that at least things
aren't going to be ending up getting that much worse.

--
   The Wanderer