Re: Please take this as constructive

On 2022-01-18 at 12:48, Brian wrote:

> On Tue 18 Jan 2022 at 11:50:14 -0500, Celejar wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 13:47:09 +0000 Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Wonder no longer :). Acquaint yourself with netcat.
>>
>> How is netcat going to help if there's no networking on one
>> machine? And if there is (e.g., using a wired connection), then
>> netcat isn't really necessary, since the machine connected to the
>> internet can be configured to route packets to the other one.
>
> Rhetorical? netcat is obviously dependent on a working network.

Yes, so since the entire problem is that one of the machines involved
doesn't have a working network, how does netcat help?

> Thank you for the second solution to avoiding sneakernet.

I'm confused. What are you talking about? I don't see any alternative
suggested above, beyond what obviously isn't applicable because it
assumes having a network connection, which as indicated isn't the case.

Unless you mean "e.g., using a wired connection"? It's not clear that
that's an available option in this case, either, although there are
probably a lot of cases where it will be. (I've had the misfortune
recently, in my workplace, of having to image and set up a lot of
laptops which don't come with a wired Ethernet adapter, and most
recently with ones that don't come with an external USB-or-similar
wired-Ethernet adapter dongle either.)

--
   The Wanderer