Re: freeing up some space

On Ma, 11 ian 22, 16:32:20, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2022 02:25:47 pm Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> > On 1/11/22, Roy J. Tellason, Sr. <roy@rtellason.com> wrote:
> > > So I'm poking around with mc,  and happened across /var/cache/apt/archives
> > > which has a LOT of *.deb files in it, and which seems to include many
> > > versions of the same package,  some of them many years old,  going all the
> > > way back to 2013.  I guess I've been running debian a little longer than I'd
> > > thought...
> > >
> > > Is it okay to just delete older versions of these files?  Or should I be
> > > doing something using one of the package management tools?
>
> Apparently the info about what's in this directory is also stored in
> some database somewhere,  so just going in there and deleting a bunch
> of stuff will probably break something...

[citation needed]

> Somebody (maybe more than one somebody) suggested a "clean" option,
> but apparently that will get rid of *ALL* of those files.  I'd kinda
> prefer to keep the most recent of any of them that are still being
> used.  In perusing the docs for aptitude,  I see that there's an
> option in there to "clean obsolete files",  which sounds like it'll do
> just that.  I don't see such an option in apt-get,  or elsewhere (so
> far).

The manpage for apt-get just doesn't refere to them as "obsolete" but
"largely useless"[1].

Regarding aptitude, you might want to take note of the difference
between "obsolete files" and "obsolete packages". Both are interesting
for your needs, especially after a dist/full-upgrade.

[1] just because a package can't be downloaded anymore from any
/configured/ repository doesn't actually mean it's useless or obsolete.

Kind regards,
Andrei