Re: Instalacja Debian8 błąd w Release

On 15/01/2022 06:49, Anders Andersson wrote:

I would be more surprised if the packages were *not* available
somewhere, and I hope they are "guaranteed" the same way as the new
packages (that is, no guarantee other than the benevolence of the
community members). These things are very important for current and
future "software archeology" and for preserving the history and
evolution of computing.

Heck, I even had to install Debian Sarge a few years ago to try to
figure out how a very old piece of software was supposed to be built.
It was neat to have the whole ecosystem as a 2005 developer expected
and I'm very happy that the old versions were still downloadable!

Generally speaking, I agree. Software archaeology is cool and nice thing
to have. People still use DOS, and install Windows 95. With Linux not so
much, but I understand that even you found personal use for old Linux
OS. Sarge actually finished in 2008, that's not that long ago.

But IMHO, burden of keeping all archaeological versions of Debian
shouldn't be on Debian Project. There are many volunteers with server
storage and bandwidth, they could keep it online, as torrents, etc.

--
With kindest regards, Piotr.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/