Re: OT: Recommendation for a new Debian laptop

On 1/12/2022 9:29 AM, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

On 12/1/22 4:12 pm, Jeremy Ardley wrote:

The only requirement is to have virtualisation available.

My advice is if you are going to be doing any virtual work is get a
laptop with

- decent processor ( I use Ryzen mid range )

- Expandable memory to 32G

- NVME PCIe system drive (256G upwards)

- Large internal secondary drive - typically SATA 1G +

In terms of things just working nicely, I prefer ASUS, but most brands
with those specs will be able to do all you want.

Standard off the shelf systems are either very expensive or don't have
the memory and disk you will need.

Get the cheapest one with the capabilities needed and do the upgrades
yourself for usually a lot cheaper

--

Jeremy

Typical laptops off the shelf offer 8G ram, 256G drive (beware of SATA
instead of preferred PCIe) and if you are lucky a 1T SATA secondary HDD
(mistake in previous post 1T not 1G).

Check the specs on these to see how much RAM you can upgrade to. 32G or
better is what you want.

And always get a good CPU to start with. Ryzen 5 is very workable.

I've looked a bit online and laptops with a Ryzen CPU (5 .../7 ...) are
between 550 and 1000 box or more.
is this price range what you were suggesting?

IN other words, if you were to buy a new laptop which one would you pick.

Thanks all for the model suggestions and ensuring that KVM support is
available.

--
John Doe