Debian installation doesn't see my network

This has happened with what I have tried so far: Debian and Ubuntu. I have been accustomed to my network card being auto-detected and the internet being automatically connected with an installation, but I am not getting internet on installation, so much of the installation has failed.

This machine was set up as a dual boot, and is running Windows 10 with the latest updates. It has previously run a version of Ubuntu Studio, but with this upgrade (first by USB then by DVD), I am not getting a network, and so the installation remains half-finished.

Somehow, after changing this over to Debian, where the installation failed for the same reason, Windows 10 EFI detected the incomplete installation and now offers "finishing the Debian installation" as a boot option when I reboot.

It seems the root of my problem is in Microsoft's choice to take over the EFI in a recent update, thereby supplanting GRUB, which was there before. GRUB was a technology I understood fairly well; EFI is not. Can anyone suggest, or point to some resources, for how to install Linux alongside W10, in a way that the EFI appears to recognize (since it seemed to almost accidentally with Debian).

For the record, the motherboard is an ASUS Maximus VI Hero with an onboard Intel NIC (Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V). The processor is an Intel Core I7-4770K (Haswell).

It needs to go online for at least the video drivers (I have NVIDIA and a dual monitor), and I am hoping that it is not needing to go online for the network driver.

Thanks

Paul