Re: still fixing stuff the upgrade broke...

David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 06 Jan 2022 at 07:24:47 (-0500), Dan Ritter wrote:
> > pytnon-is-python2
> >
> > python-is-python3
> >
> > Either way, something's going to break. Blame Guido Van Rossum.
>
> Throughout those years, Python3 was available, and there were
> compatibility layers and cheatsheets assisting with or documenting
> the production of compatible code or its conversion for deployment
> when upgrading. Makes no difference to human nature.
>
> So I think any blame should be shared around a lot more.

I don't mean that the Python directors should have mandated
harder or gone out to fix the software themselves.

I mean that this could all be avoided if the language spec
started with

"Python interpreters that handle major version 3 must be invoked
under the name python3. A python3 interpreter is not required to
handle Python 1 or 2 syntax. If it does not, it must terminate
execution as soon as possible with an error message like 'This
program needs a different major version of Python."

Not having that in the spec as soon as they made the decision
that Python 3 would break compatibility, that's what I blame
them for.

-dsr-